Monday, July 1, 2013

Countdown: 26 Days

     Last December we started talking about going on a mission trip in 2013.  Shortly after that, our church in Morganton announced that they would be doing two mission trips this year; Kenya and Guatemala.  The one in Kenya seemed a little out of reach financially so we started praying about going to Guatemala.  The work will be helping out in an orphanage.  Steve couldn't go out of the country because of online work, so I told Isaac I would take him for his 13th birthday/ becoming a man trip. 
     Wow, has this last six  months been a trip in itself!  I have watched Isaac grow into a man faster than I could have realized.  He saved his Christmas, Birthday, and goat baby money.  He squirreled away every $5 and $10 he got.  People donated to his trip in exchange for yard or house work and several very generous people in our church and friends have donated to his cause.  He is now just a little over $300 short of making his $1,600 goal.  Isaac is calm, cool, and collective about the trip.  He has traveled on many mission trips and although this is his first international one, I see how much he is like me, ready for the challenge and not fearful at all.  I am very proud of him.  I am asking God to do a mighty life-changing work in him.
     On my end, Steve and I knew we couldn't pay for this out of our budget, so I decided to make a move with my goat milk soap and bath products business that I said I never would.  We joined the farmer's market, then another, then another... Gulp, we now go to the markets four days a week!  In March, I decided if we were going to do this, I needed a side kick, my Tonto if you will.  I knew just the person for the job.  Marilyn had volunteered at our farm three time and house sat for us once.  She knew the product, the animals, and where we kept our bowls:)  She volunteered to come for the whole summer and I couldn't have done it without her.  I think we could work together with our eyes shut.  We anticipate each others every move and she has been wonderful to bounce ideas off of.  So that's I have funded my trip so far - by selling soaps, lotions, and other body products.  Only yesterday did I make a plea to friends to help me with the last $300.
     God has been there the whole way.  In June, when Steve's work took a dip, the markets made up the difference for bill paying.  He has been faithful this whole journey and we haven't even gotten on the plane yet! It seems like our whole summer has been hard working, getting ready for this one week trip and now it is upon us.
     Only 26 days til we board a plane bound for Guatemala.  I have traveled enough in my life to not speculate what it will be like.  I know it will be beautiful.  I know it will be different.  Other than that, I'm open to what God has for us!  Our group has taken the motto "mas o menos".  It means "more or less".  You have to be up and ready to get on the bus at 5:30 am, but the bus doesn't arrive until 6:30 am.  "Where's the bus?"  "mas o menos" is the answer.  More or less, it's a philosophy that drives the culture.  We Americans are driven by the clock.  Our events are time based, but in other cultures, events are event based.  Church starts when everyone gets there.  Stores open when the owner makes it in.  Breakfast is served when it is ready.  And you get on the bus when it arrives.  Will that bother me?  Normally I would say yes, but right now in my life with every day packed to the brim, I think I will put my watch on Guatemalan time.  Love the people, enjoy the culture, make a difference.  That's what I'm looking forward to.  I am thankful to pastor Mike and our missions book we are going through for the reminder.  We have even given the Hawaiian "hand sign" of "hang loose" to it as we say it.
     I have signed up to bring certain items with me for the people of the orphanage we will be helping.  Chocolate chips, Gold Fish crackers, and flip flops are on my list.  Everyone has a motley list of items we will be taking.  I think mine is funny.  I can see the little Guatemalan children wearing their flip flops eating gold fish and chocolate chip cookies listening to story time. If you or your Sunday School group would like to give my crazy list of goodies please contact me.  We could use your help!  You can donate the items themselves, or the money to purchase them.  I just need to have it in hand by July 20th when we pack our bags up.
    This is my request.  Pray for our group.  That is the cornerstone of this trip.  It is the one thing everyone can do.  Pray that we can make a difference in these children's lives.  If you would like to sponsor us further, email me at thethankfulgoat@gmail.com and I can get you the mailing information.  We have 14 days to finish paying for our trip and any amount you wanted to help us with would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment