Monday, January 4, 2016

Guatemala Again! (The two years later reunion tour)

Well this is unexpected.  A few weeks ago Jose from Hope for Guatemala contacted me on facebook to ask if we could Skype.  The ministry had purchased 34 goats and half the herd had died.  They bought these goats for milk for the children in the feeding program and were running into problems with production, kidding etc.  He asked me if I would be willing to come down an help diagnose and treat the goats and teach the workers, volunteers and teenagers how to make cheese and soap.  I was thrilled to help out and started my pack list.  In 2013 Isaac and I went with others from our church on a mission trip to work at the ministry.  They feed over 270 kids twice a day and help them with their homework, teach the older ones job skills, and once a week bring produce from the market for the families of the kids.  The ministry is in Zone 18 one of the worst areas for crime, drugs, and gang activity.  I never expected to jump into a mission trip within 30 days of signing on.  Jose is picking up to room and board part of the trip and all I needed to come up with was the airfare on such short notice.  GoFundMe and Jesus have been on my side the whole way!  In just a few short weeks I have had friends come through with donations.  My church is backing me fully and I have raised enough to pay for hoof trimmers for the goats, a stainless steel milking bucket, medicines for worming, and goat health, and now am working on raising money for 'American Chocolate' for the kiddos.  I fear my luggage will weigh more than I do!!!

Because we only had sketchy internet on the last trip and I dropped my computer in the airport and broke it on the way down :0, I couldn't post during our trip from Guatemala.  I'll add some photos at the end today.

If you read this and would like to donate to the goat medicine or chocolate fund, I will add my GoFundMe link:
https://de.gofund.me/agfu45u4&rcid=9bc725808baa43279364fc3bbf5cef4f

Some the kids enjoying breakfast.  A lot of them had to walk several miles to get to eat every morning.
Four of the little girls posing with Hannah (center) one of our team members.
Jose, Hope for Guatemala, right and one of the gang leaders on the left.  The gang works with the ministry
to build playgrounds so there is a safe place for the children to play.  Both men have different agendas for the kids.  Jose is trying
to get them educated and out of the area so they won't join gangs and can have a life.  The gang
needs them to grow up so they can have more members and drug dealers.  It's a strange partnership, but this is what Jesus meant when he said
go and make disciples.  Jose' hope is for gang salvations.

Each of these box shaped rooms is a house.  Many don't have electric, plumbing, or water.  almost all have dirt floors.

Another photo of the houses


Dorie and I with one of the little girls.  You don't need to know Spanish, just Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment